Sunday 19 April 2020

Slow down Sunday!!

Kathy calls it slow stitching Sunday, I just want it to be slow down Sunday. Now lots would laugh and say "haven't we slowed down enough". Maybe but I have been a busy girl around my house.
Yesterday I spent the day outside raking the yard, well the spots that don't have any snow. There is still a bit of the white stuff hanging around yet. It felt good to be outside, I even got a bit of sun/wind burn on my face! All that outside work was so I could be indoors today and get some sewing done.

OMG that's a lot of little squares
My Edyta Sitar mystery is ready for basting. I managed to find and was able to piece up some fabric from my stash...there was just enough. I have been working on a multitude of projects over the last few weeks and I decided I should get something finished...like completed, done! So to facilitate that I started another new project and it comes with a story!!

my practice block made into a doll quilt
STORY ALERT:  my newest project....3"finished nine patches. I spent 2 or 3 days going through my box of 1.5" squares and matching them up for the nine  patches. I found this quilt online and loved it. It is a redesigned version of Jack's chain called Rock around the block. There are no Y seams or 60 degree triangles!! SCORE ...but how to figure out the dimensions of the pieces. I worked on it all one morning, even calling in backup from DH. We used what math skills we had and googled things...only to come to the realization that my drawing wasn't going to work. So I went back to the original post on a blog that you can see here. Read the whole blog and in there she tells you that the pattern is in a Fons and Porter magazine 2015. I was so excited, I ran down to where all my books were and hoped beyond hope that I had that issue! BINGO!! Sometimes it pays to keep stuff...I had the magazine. That day I didn't rest till I had one block made. I will have to fine tune my sewing a bit but it looks pretty good. It will be a doll quilt for an entry at our Fair maybe next year(with all that is happening this year). Binding is on it and needs to be sewn down to the back.
Hoping to have some of the blocks made this week with my patches and background fabric.

Slow stitching today will be binding, some knitting on an afghan for me and all that after I have pin basted my quilt. Join Kathy and friends for some slow stitching and enjoy the time we have for our hobbies and crafts. Not sure what I would be doing if I wasn't a sewing enthusiast/crafter!!!

I want to wish my quilt/knitting buddy Bernadette a Happy Birthday. We are going to have many friend's birthdays to celebrate when this quarantine ends.

5 comments:

  1. Nine patch blocks with 1.5 inch squares are very nice. So good you had taken care of the magazine. I also have many old quilt magazines lying around. It's hard to throw and suddenly gets used to it. The doll quilt is so cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had the magazine! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I have lots of trouble with the math too. That's one reason why I gave up piecing. I do needle turn applique now. Love the doll quilt, cute. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful you were able to find the pattern from so long ago. I too am mathematically challenged. Enjoy your slow Sunday stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like that pattern really had you chasing your tail for a bit!
    Love that your quilt book/magazine library came to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...