Sunday 16 May 2021

Stay at home means more sewing

 Yes our stay at home/lockdown order got extended again. So what does that mean to me...not much has changed. I am at home and getting some projects checked off my to-do list.  Not all things are sewing related though. Yesterday I spent the day outside working in the yard and some painting on the rims of my winter tires. Some of these jobs were things my hubby did but they have become my tasks to complete now. I do know my limits and when I reach them...I head for the sewing room to relax.

2 done 8 to go
This week I started a project that I received in late January. My uncle passed away and his family asked if I would make memory pillows for them with his shirts. Now because of covid, I was not able to be at the funeral and so this is a fitting way for me to honour him and his memory for his family. I had started with a tester one(there were extra  shirts) then found a video on how to make the pillows with the collar still on. I think they look pretty cool.  I will be adding an embroidered patch to the front as well, just not sure what it will say as yet. As I was cutting apart the shirts, I realized that a man's large shirt contains at least 3 fat quarters and possibly a 4th if you added all the little pieces and sleeves together. So I am sure I will have leftovers that I will put to a good use. This has been the perfect project to get me sewing and helping me to decide what I will work on next.

Of course every quilter has UFO and I am no stranger to that. But which one should I work on. Most of my UFO are finished tops so that means they need basting and machine or hand quilting. These days I like to do a little of both on a quilt. The machine quilting acts as basting for the hand quilting and the quilt gets finished a bit quicker than if I hand quilted the whole thing.

When it is break/tea time...I will be seeing what Kathy is up to this week. She is in the same lockdown as I am and I know the time is getting long.  It is always interesting to see what everyone is working on and to see how there seems to be a resurgence in cross stitch over the last year or so. Maybe I will have to get out my cross stitch project that isn't finished, from 12 years ago! yikes

I have to share what I received this week. The members of the band that my hubby was part of , gifted this chair to me in his memory. Seeing the chair was one thing but reading the plaque brought instant tears. I hope he has found a comfy bench to sit on to wait, because I am hoping he will be waiting for a long while.





12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift from your husband's bandmates. I hope he has a long wait also. I do like those shirt pillows as remembrances. How wonderful that you can honor your uncle in that way. Stay safe and I hope your lockdown can end come June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. H,
    Awesome idea leaving the collars on the shirts.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beautiful chair is a wonderful gift from your husband's bandmates. What a fabulous way to honour a loved one by making pillows from their shirts. May you have many moments this week relaxing in your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift from the band! I can picture you sitting there with a cup of tea and your hand stitching. Love those pillows you made... such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your memory pillows are wonderful and such a clever idea. Such a fabulous chair as well. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shirt pillows. I would love to see how they are made. It would be a perfect way to keep some of Dennis shirts. Thanks for your ramblings. Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. sorry wrong web address. youtube video "sew very easy" Laura does a great video showing you how.

      Delete
  7. Hire a pro for major work to be done. There is a reason that architects, architect or interior designer. They are trained and skilled in doing this kind of difficult work. floormod.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. Waco va lender

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don’t panic, a simple fix is to cover the stain in salt to try and soak up some of the liquid. Coffee Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. You bear through a awesome vacancy. I sanity definitely quarry it moreover personally suggest to my buddys. I am self-possessed they determination be benefited from this scene. FHA loan

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...