Monday 6 April 2020

Quilting Math

my mission for today
We quilters are known for making beautiful quilts made up of many pieces. Have you ever counted those pieces? Well today as I was repetitively sewing small pieces together for a 6" star block I started to wonder, how many pieces are in this block and how many do I have to make. Would these questions make a good blog post?!?! So here goes!!

I am making 42 star blocks which means:42 squares
   (starting from the center out)                 168 triangles                                   
                                                                  168 triangles
                                                                  336 triangles
                                                                  168 squares
for a total of 882 pieces for 42 stars!
pieces not included in totals 
I am also sewing 196 triangles into 98 hst. Which means 980 pieces in these two sections of this quilt. That doesn't include the pieces that I have already sewn. YIKES!!

And now I am thinking of starting Bonnie Hunter's mystery.....ohhhhh
I think quarantine/isolation might be getting to me!

1 comment:

  1. I think it has, too--boy that is a lot of sewing and piecing...
    hang in there and stay safe ~ ~ ~ waves from Julierose ;)))

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...