Thursday 23 July 2015

Reader BEWARE!! Rant about to happen

What makes a quilt teacher...a teacher? Is it countless certificates, numerous courses that have been taken, vast knowledge of all things quilt related or a love and passion for a dying art form. Is it some of these or all of these or possibly none of these??
Could it be that all those certificates show that the teacher is just a good student? I have taken classes where the teacher was certified but was not necessarily a good teacher whereas I have learned many tips and tricks and taken classes along the way from the guild member at the next table.
Having said all this...my rant is...why do we as guild members think if a teacher is certified or not or comes from out of town she is worthy of a monetary compensation but if a guild member offers to teach a class she is not given the same compensation! Where is the fairness in this and how does it possibly encourage other members to want to teach at guild.
I would like to hear from you. What does your guild do? What do you think could be done to better the situation.
Thanks for reading and listening to my rant!!!


completely done!!

Onto more fun things. I have a couple of finishes this week. A baby quilt is finally done but has no home as yet. Also the flannel quilt that I was enlarging for a friend is finished complete with me extending the machine quilting(oh boy) and ready for delivery!

Added black and dark brown borders
Plaid added to backing & new label



Finished quilt 

3 comments:

  1. Everyone who teaches a class deserves compensation regardless of whether they are a member or not.

    Quilting looks great. You blended into the original quilting perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learn lots from fellow quilters, I believe that sharing ideas is what a guild is all about, compensation is necessary for all the extra work required to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the finishes!
    I have already told you in person what I think, but I wanted to say that I am so privileged to be in a guild that values all the talents of the members and pays them for teaching and demoing during meetings and classes. It is very encouraging for the guild members who have the ability to teach to be compensated because sooooo much work and time goes into the preparation.

    ReplyDelete

Let me introduce myself....

 It would seem that maybe I should re-introduce myself as I have been away from blogland for way too long. I have heard from some of my read...