Sunday 27 February 2022

Remembering....

This has been an overwhelming week for me. Last weekend was Family day in Canada. A day to celebrate family.  We were also remembering our loss. It has been 1 year since my husband passed away. I can hardly believe it has been 365 days without him here with me. On Saturday I made supper for the whole family and it was nice to gather and just be together. It was a crappy weather weekend though and my daughter was not able to make it home. That made for an even sadder weekend. On Sunday we all went ice fishing, it was something we always did for Family day and hubby usually caught at least one fish. A year ago today we were giving him the best send off we could, honouring and remembering the special guy he was. I know he would want us not to dwell but to do our best to be the best. So I pick myself up and move forward.

My Memory Lane quilt

One thing I did do was get my quilt off the frame and half bound. It was on my bed on Monday night...a self imposed deadline. I finished the binding the next day. It is for me to keep. A quilt 4 years in the making. Did the patchwork, waited, did applique, waited, set it up on the frame, my world fell apart, the quilt waited, found my love of hand quilting again!

pieces cut and ready yesterday morning
                          Later this week after cleaning up the sewing room, labelling some charity quilts and figuring out the next project, I began. I have a kit but it isn't big enough for some of the charities I donate to...so let's make it bigger. I am using the fabric from the kit and adding in one set of charms squares and a little yardage for the sashing. Had to do some quilt math before starting to make sure I would have enough fabric and it seems to be working out. Yesterday I pieced the top and now it just needs two borders and it will be done. I am hoping to have it ready to quilt by tomorrow. If I can, it will be a four day quilt plus however long it takes to quilt it! Not a bad turnaround!!
last night an almost top

This was the original kit
It is another weird weather day. I woke to flurries, then snow squalls and now the sun is shining! I think it is a good day to continue to sew and check in with my friend Kathy and see what everyone is slow stitching on today. My slow stitching will come later while I am watching today's NASCAR race!! GO DENNY!! right Pearl, let's hope he stays in the race this week!!

Have a good week everyone!




5 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! Am keeping you in my prayers as you go through this difficult time. My time is coming up the end of April, and I am dreading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dreading this 1st anniversary too. All I can say is surround yourself with family, it helped me get through the weekend.

      Delete
  2. A year without the love of your life must seem like eternity. Pleased you have your family around you at this time to reflect and comfort each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is such a difficult time. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure the past year was difficult. How nice that you continued a tradition and remembered your husband as well. Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the scalloped edge. Your "almost top" is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Let me introduce myself....

 It would seem that maybe I should re-introduce myself as I have been away from blogland for way too long. I have heard from some of my read...