Sunday 6 February 2022

Hurry...hurry hard!

 With those not too familiar with those words...It is curling season and in my world that means quilting hours ahead! As I listen and watch curling on TV or my computer, I get lots of hand quilting done. I have imposed a finishing date for this quilt on the frame. I have had the frame set up for over a year and it is so close to being done. It is time to finish it and get it on my bed, this one is for me!

This is an older picture, I have about 8 inches of the applique border to quilt and it will be finished.

 For the past week though I have been doing crochet. I have found some almost finished projects at my mother's house and am completing them for her. It has been a long time since I have crocheted but it is like riding a bike, as the old saying goes. I do find that my hands are feeling very cramped and numb. Not sure if it is the crocheting or the snow blowing and shovelling that I have been doing!

Yesterday I spent the morning cleaning out my sewing room. It was definitely time for a muck out!! I found so many projects that need to get completed. Some that just need quilting and others that have not even been started as yet. When do you say...I give!?!? That you say to yourself, I won't get to these and they need a new home to go to!?! Any thoughts or ideas will be welcomed.

Later this month is the first anniversary of the day I lost my husband and my life changed forever.  I am realizing time is short, way shorter than any of us knows. So as I am going through the sewing room, my thoughts are do I  want to spend that time doing things I love or just finishing things for the sake of getting them done. I don't know all the answers but just what works for me. I am also gifting more quilts. I love making them but no one gets to enjoy them if they are stuck in a closet. With that thought in mind, at Christmas I gifted 7 quilts to my brothers, sisters and a good friend to show my appreciation and thanks for all the love and time they have given me over this past year. It has meant so much to have family and friends close by.

With it being Sunday we all know to check in with Kathy and see what everyone is slow stitching on today. It is always interesting to see what everyone is working on. Me, I must get a binding sewn onto a quilt so I have slow stitching to do this afternoon as I watch more curling!! Happy Sunday

5 comments:

  1. Deanna, my thoughts are with you as you face a tough month ahead. Keep the positive memories in focus to help you through.
    As for old projects, I've come to the conclusion that as much as I want to make everything in my stash of fabrics and patterns, it will never happen. I'm giving a critical look at everything and asking myself to be realistic about each quilt project and decide if I still want to make it, or if I have the ability (skill or time). Now I will donate the culled items to a local quilt guild or to one of the finishers listed on Jo's Country Junction blog. Jo has compiled a list of people who take quilt tops, unfinished quilts, and fabric and turn them into quilts for charity. Jo often has blog posts featuring the finished projects, so you can see your donations finished and off to a new home. Good luck with your cleaning and gifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. It is also the time when my husband started failing a year ago and have been thinking about that a lot. He passed away on April 29th. My prayers and thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely quilt in your frame, Deanna. It sounds like you are staying busy. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know this month is a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could sit beside you at that frame and tell each other funny stories about Ted! I know you must miss him terribly and it has been doubly hard with covid. I hope you can enjoy some time hand stitching while you watch the olympics this month.
    Those UFO decisions are tough. I'm leaving them to my quilting buddies to sort out after I'm gone! LOL And until then, I'm just working on what I enjoy as I go along. Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure this month is a tough one for you. I think it is wonderful that you gifted so many quilts that can be well loved and appreciated. I find it difficult to get rid of projects that aren't completed. I think you should work on the ones that you love. You are in my thoughts this month.

    ReplyDelete

Let me introduce myself....

 It would seem that maybe I should re-introduce myself as I have been away from blogland for way too long. I have heard from some of my read...