Sunday 16 November 2014

Let it begin....

So hunting season is over and I start to get back into a routine again. And so begins the start of Christmas shopping and sewing!! Have any of you started yet? I have friends who are done their shopping already. I figure that they are just gonna miss out on some great deals!! haha
As my daughter says...she has four weeks till she has to start shopping!

done with these
This week I have been taking a page out of Bonnie Hunter's purging book. I have been cleaning and decluttering in small quantities. I have hit a few different rooms but the biggest dent was made in my sewing room, in the magazine section. This box full of books will be heading to guild to be rehomed. This is only about half of the ones I want to go through. I have gone through them and taken out any favorite quilts or ones that I think I might make. I took to our local library some pocket novels and computer games. Even cleaned and defrosted two deep freezer.
Yesterday along with laundry.. A pumpkin got roasted and will make muffins and a pumpkin cheesecake.  I cooked up some spaghetti squash for supper(still have a couple more of those left).

roasted pumpkin and yummy seeds too
ready to chain piece
The day was not an entire loss...I did get to sew. I found this block called "Diamond in the Rough" and liked it so I wanted to make the quilt. I found a picture on the internet but no FREE pattern. So with the picture and some precutting instructions from a teacher who taught the class, I was able to come up with some cutting instructions of my own. To make sure everything was correct (you never know) I made a practice block using old fabric. A few modifications were made and yesterday I cut out the pieces needed. Using the right fabric for the project, I made one block today.WHAT!! ARG!! RIP, RIP,RIP!!!! and so the afternoon went. How could there be a mistake.It was only a matter of less than 1/4" - 1/8" but it did matter. After supper I sat down and started fresh and decided after sewing another block I could trim off the excess and live with the rest. Once that was done, the block went together easily. As you can see it is not for the faint of heart. Some of those angles (although only 45 degrees) are tricky to sew. But the finished product is so sweet!!! Only 14 more to make. Another note here, I am using up some fat 1/4s that I have been collecting as a monthly group member.
Today I am hoping to finish sewing the blocks together, now that I know how!?! And join Kathy in some slow stitching. I have a small baby quilt that needs binding and my knitting needles are calling ....get these Christmas presents done!!!
So my title "let it begin" could be the start of cleaning house, decluttering and or getting my Christmas gift list started! Hope you have a great day with whatever you are up to!!


10 comments:

  1. What a pretty block. I am impressed that you were able to figure out the pattern without...well... a pattern. Beautiful. Great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for decluttering! I can't part with the Quilt Sampler magazines as they are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took out any articles and patterns that I liked and this box was what I was left with. The space i freed up was more valuable.

      Delete
  3. It's a really striking block between the pattern and your colors!

    Your daughter sounds like my son in regards to shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely block! Very labour intensive, even with the correct instructions!
    Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever block, and clever you for figuring it out. It should make a really cool quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great block - and your colors are wonderful. I need to declutter more rooms.... the sewing room is on tap for this week. Playroom got done already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like one very complicated block! You've made it look so sunny in those colours :) I need to clear out my kitchen cupboards, but the doors are closed, so ummm that can wait right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your block colours match your roasted pumpkin! Beautiful block! I am working on some gifts too. Two done, two to go!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...