Sunday 21 January 2018

Happy Sunday Morning

Another busy week has come to an end. After having eye exams last week, this week it was time to go see the medical doctor for a checkup. All is well and just a couple woman tests to complete this week. Ladies don't forget to get those boobies checked among other things that make us the special people we are!!!
more sewing to finish class top
Yesterday I taught a class on a scrap quilt. I showed pictures of some of the quilt before. Now I can complete my top and place it in the pile to be finished at a later date. I think this one might actually get hand quilted.This quilt went together in rows which was different and very slick.

plastic embroidery hoop
other hoops
If you are hand quilting, you need a hoop. Hoops are all the discussion over at Kathy's blog today. She wants to know your favs and what you work on, so here are mine!I love embroidery and these plastic hoops I find are the best for keeping the fabric taunt while I am stitching. When I first starting cross stitching many years ago, I used an embroidery hoop too. Once I realized it was stretching the aida cloth, I changed to stretcher bar type hoop and eventually just held the fabric in my hands with no hoop or bars.
Now when it come to quilting... I have a couple of portable hoops.White PVC for cross stitch or embroidery(must admit I have not used this one as yet),round plastic one for quilting and the wooden squarish one was an upgrade from the round one. It is a bit larger but the shape makes it easier to do blocks in a quilt. But I have to say my all time favorite hoop isn't a hoop at all but a frame! I enjoy quilting the way my grandmothers did, on a floor frame. This is an older picture circa 2004 and I am working on the frame which includes boards that my grandmother used(the ones with the string on them). The stands that hold the boards were made by my father and they adjust up and down. Of course you need a bit of space for this "hoop" and it isn't very portable but it is the way I like to quilt. It has been awhile since I have had a frame set up in my house...maybe it is time once again to take over a room with a frame!! So check into Kathy's blog and see what others are using for frame/hoops and what they are slow stitching on today. Glad to see Kathy is feeling better too this week!!


 Have a great week!!

7 comments:

  1. So fun to see you sitting at your grandmother's frame... warm fuzzies! So interesting to learn what people's favourite frames are! Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have your grandmother’s quilting frame...I’m not sure who has my grandmother’s frame. A couple of my aunts quilt so probably one of them has it. It is interesting to see everyone’s hoops as I read blogs this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be using your grandmothers quilting frame. I find the squarish wood hoop interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen several people using the PVC frame and I am curious to know if it works well for embroydery and cross stitching.
    What a big frame for hand quilting. It is supposed to be a treasure you received form your grandmother.
    Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun you quilt on the same frame as your grandmother! Traditions are wonderful. I got my mammogram last Friday. All good for another year =).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your grandmother's frame. I lobbied hard to be able to take my own grandmother's frame and her treadle sewing machine, but since I was only 10 when she passed away, my mom didn't believe me when I said I was going to use them. They did go to some adult cousins, so at least they stayed in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be lovely to have space for a room sized quilting frame. With the time it takes to finish hand quilting a good sized quilt, setting it up is quite a commitment.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...