Sunday 6 August 2017

Purging, cleaning and falling in love again

So this week I took on the task of cleaning out my basement sewing studio. I work mostly upstairs in my living room but my stash and other things are in the basement. Over a year ago we got water in the basement...before the ohhhs and awwws...no fabric was damaged! I have wondered what to do with the space so this week the clean up/ rearranging began!
I remembered to take before shots that you can see and read about here. I am still sorting and purging.WOW you just don't realize what you have till you go through it all in a couple of days. I haven't even started sorting fabric yet.
It all began when I came into possession of two new tables that would work great for a cutting station. Now how to fit them into the space. Exit one table and one old door(that was my cutting table for many years). I am slowly going through things. I have a box for friends, one box for charity and one for guild. I am waiting for a dry not raining day so DH can buy some drywall to finish the wall repair. I also need to buy some shelving units. After that I will be putting it all back together.
still messy but way better than two days ago

I think I might like the new space so much, I might want to sew down there again.(only on the hot days) I have discovered so many projects, ones that I started and ones that I have adopted from other people. The whole time I was cleaning and purging, all I could hear was my daughter saying"what was she thinking" as she cleans out after I am gone!!! This pushed me to clean more!! I have included an updated photo ....it looks like not much has changed but believe me it is neater and more organized. That being said even I am not going to find something that I have moved to a new place.

This has been a busy long weekend here in Ontario at our house with a funeral, a wedding and today a birthday party. Monday can't come fast enough for a rest....oh nope a family reunion to get ready for!!!So the slow stitching will have to wait but I will be checking in with Kathy and seeing what everyone is working on. Have a great  week everyone!

5 comments:

  1. It's looking much more organised than your before photo, that really was in need of a good sort out. I don't have a sewing room but my storage area is in such a mess at the moment I can't find anything. Every time I tidy up I find projects I've forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanting to simplify, and my children's thoughts on being left a mess, are my motivators for cleaning up and downsizing! Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some good progress getting the workroom sorted, I love rediscovering old projects to work on again. I have been sorting through my house again and I always find a few things I no longer need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do the same thing, but I want to move my piecemeal basement sewing room into my daughter's old room. I imagine I will doing much the same trying to purge some of my stash. I am looking forward to seeing what your sewing room looks like when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't look at your before photos but your plan for your space sounds great. I can certainly identify with a daughter wondering what her mother was thinking. My daughter visits and doesn't say anything but I know she hopes I will quit buying and use up all the fabric I have. Small hope, that.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...