Sunday 30 August 2015

Winding down or gearing up!!??

Quilt show is done, the fair is over and now Fall is on the horizon. So as a quilter I am winding down from these events but gearing up for the months ahead and I am setting up a quilt on the frame this weekend. I received a bag of  "scraps" from my friend Jessica awhile back. This past week I dug them out and started playing. Oh my...these weren't your itty bitty pieces...these were leftover blocks and strips sets to make more blocks and so I did!!! I have managed a single bed quilt from it all.
good thing it is only a single bed quilt
So that is going on the frame today.DH is not too happy about me migrating into the family room with the quilt frame. I am suppose to stay in the other living room but it is crowded with my sewing stuff cause my basement sewing room is too cold!!! Maybe I have too much space!?! BUT technically I am in the entrance way and only a bit in the family room!!! hehehe

It is great when friends and family know what you do. Yesterday my brother in law was at a yard sale and saw a quilt frame. He thought I could probably use it so he got it for $1.00!!! The lady is a quilter who is moving into an apartment. Once I got the bundle home...I realized there was actually two quilt frames. Four boards with c-clamps and there was a homemade frame similar to the pic (left). I set the frame up yesterday only to find it wasn't quite right. I asked DH to have a look and mentioned that these frame have like a cog wheel to keep them from moving. He got  a funny look on his face and said "let's go". He had been to the same garage sale and remembered seeing two wheels there. Sure enough we found the missing pieces. Gotta love small towns!!! In the near future when I have a quilt on it, I will put a pic on the blog.(I forgot to take one yesterday when it was set up!)

this was the whole bundle of two frames

star blocks, trying to arrange them

So today for slow stitching...I will be putting the first stitches into my "Maple Stars" quilt. The weather is co operating...it is dreary and damp out so staying indoors  with something to do is on the schedule for today!!! Have a great day with whatever you choose to do!



9 comments:

  1. Love the story about acquiring the frames!
    Also love that you have another frame that you could now set up quilting stations in every room in your house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to find the missing parts and save the frames. Who knows what would have happened if she had not gotten that dollar! Love it when family supports our joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear my ”scraps" were put to good use!! After making a king size quilt out of that fabric, I'd had enough. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good deal on the frames! Sometimes, other peoples scraps are more exciting than our own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get the missing parts. Great deal on the frames.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice yard sale score for you! My sewing seems to spread thru the house too....ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just $1.00? Score! Our basement is cold, too, which is why I resist DH's offers to build me a sewing room down there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A quilt frame for a $1. Wow. Enjoy your quilting. My basement, although finished, gets buggy although it has heat. Can't seem to get rid of them so I set up in one of the bedrooms. I just have a smallish quilt hoop though. Maybe someday I will have a frame.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...