Sunday 23 August 2015

Fall Fair Weekend

This is coming in late on a Sunday as it has been a busy weekend, well busy week and weekend!!
prize winning hand crafts
After cleaning up from last weekend and getting my bearings...this week was spent getting ready for the fair. I had most of my entries ready to go but still needed two baby quilts. So with two days to do it in, I got them finished and tagged just in time for Friday's deadline.
Large quilts going onto District Level
My quilt/sewing entries did very well this year. Two of my large quilts will be going onto the next level of the agricultural fairs in October. I did only one loaf for baking(not a fan of the baking part especially in summer),pickles either won 1st or lost and I put flowers in this year. I haven't done this for a few years but decided to this year and they did not bad!!
As I was collecting my things yesterday, I parted with one of the baby quilts as a gift for a friend's new grandbaby (who was at the fair). I think Charlotte will like her new quilt. I will have to get a pic to show later.
So today was a day of putting things away and finding out what project to work on next. I decided on a baby quilt(love them). I pieced it last October and it needs to be finished. So it got sandwiched and I am working on the machine quilting.My DH stole me away for a couple of hours to visit our garden plot we have out in the country where we dug up some potatoes. We also detoured on the way home to a friend's farm and got fresh cucumbers and corn on the cob. So we are having that for supper with pork chops...can't wait!!!So they don't look so appetizing here but trust me when I say they are delicious!
fresh beets, zucchini,onions,potatoes,corn and cukes
So my slow stitching I think will be later after supper when I can sit down, rest my aching back and join up some more hexies!!!While at Kathy's blog check out those hands, hard at work!!

So now I have something to show! While trying to complete one of the baby quilts, while adding the binding, I was short. A picture is worth one big curse word!!!!!
So what is a girl to do...no more fabric, not even a sliver!!?!?! So I unsewed some of the binding back past two mitred joins. Made the seam allowances smaller and reattached everything. IT WORKED!!! There was a little sweating going on, hoping there would be enough.
short 1/4"+ seam allowances....arrgh!!


6 comments:

  1. So glad your sewing did well at the fair! As for that binding, I say you got very lucky. One curse word wouldn't have done it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Not good to be short on binding! Glad you came up with a good solution! Congrats on your results at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart fix on the binding. Congrats on your fair entries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite a haul of ribbons from the fair, and of veggies from the garden! Great job on the binding stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! Glad you were able to tweak that binding to get it to fit. Congratulations for advancing to the next round on your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on all your ribbons. You deserve them!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...