Sunday 23 July 2023

A new day

let's see how far a box of scraps will go
As the sun rises on a new day, there are all kinds of possibilities, you have to go find the fun stuff! So with that in mind yesterday I started a new project! Wasn't going to do that but I have been wanting to do this quilt. I got a larger shoe box and began to fill it with lots of blue scraps and a few pink scraps. I played all afternoon and made a few blocks. I didn't have a design or layout just the idea for the individual blocks that I saw on facebook. As I work away on it, I may change how the blocks are constructed or how big the strips should be. I would really like to use up my strings so that might means many rounds around the center pink. Still a work in progress!! Stay tuned....

almost done!!
But other than losing two days to my worries this week, I did get some things done. My knitting on the shawl is coming along. I think I will run out of one of the colours and that will mean the end of the knitting on this one. It is called "the shortest day shawl", that has taken me soooo long to do(since Sept 2022)!! Once the knitting is finished, I will find a friend to help me cut it apart...yup CUT!! It is knitted in the round with the intention of it being cut later. I also finished hand quilting the double wedding ring quilt that I have been working on seems like forever!! You can see it here but more on that in another post.

quilt top and backing
My Jack's chain quilt is a finished top and the backing is pieced and ready to be sandwiched. This whole quilt has a story including the backing. I wanted to use what I have(which wasn't enough) so some ingenuity was needed. The backing is not big enough to send to the longarmer so I will attempt quilting this one myself. After showing it with a friend's rendition of the same pattern. You could easily see that my scrappy nine patches don't do the pattern justice. My friend Mallory used background fabric in her nine patches and it made a big difference to the pattern. If you look at the pattern Ring Cycles, you will see what I mean. It is a finished scrappy quilt but I am a little disappointed with it. Will I try again...time will tell!!

I have to get machine quilting...I have Jack's chain but also two other quilts with backings ready and waiting to be basted and finished. This will be my to-do list for the next couple of weeks. 

Tomorrow I am headed to my local quilt store The Cottage Quilter for a sale. Do I need anything...no, but couldn't hurt to just look and spend some time with some friends that I am going with. I do have a gift certificate to spend. Today sewing till the lawn is dry enough to mow, Nascar race but first looking in on Kathy to see what she is up to today! Slow stitching for me will be more hexies. I almost have the main part done and will be changing to green for the first border!! ya me!!

Enjoy today and I hope you find that special thing that gives you peace and makes your worries go away!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are very productive, which can be a problem in the lazy hazy days of summer. I just finished a top for QOV. Quilted a top using my domestic machine and hate it but hopefully someone will love it. I should be using up all my fabric but still off to a quilt store to see what needs to come home with me. Happy sewing Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you’ve been busy. The shawl is intriguing. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...