Sunday 12 January 2020

Snow day!

looks better on the snow then last week's purple sheet
It has been a messy couple of days. Rain, pouring at time to sleet and finally snow. We got snow yesterday and then again overnight...almost 12" altogether. So today started with cleaning driveways. I look after my mother's and aunt's and hubby does our's. Thank goodness the snowblowers started and ran so I could get the job done quickly and get home to do what I really want to do.

I have finally finished this quilt top. Although it looks simple, looks are deceiving! The initial center circles were put in place and the rest of the quilt bloomed from there. Each piece having its place like putting a puzzle together. This will be my #2 sample for a class I am teaching in March.

I have set aside Bonnie's mystery for now. I am in a design dilemma. I am using single fabrics (not scrappy) and the placement of the light blue and dark blue I don't want to be random. I have an idea of what the layout might be so instead of doing a whole lot of sewing and not liking it, I have chosen to wait it out...besides I think it won't be long before the final reveal!!! maybe even this week!!!

small quilt for the front of a bag
So with the mystery set aside...I needed a leader and ender for the sewing I was doing. I started making little 5 1/2" finished log cabin blocks for a bag to go with these applique hearts. That got me thinking that I could use up some scraps and make more of these blocks for a small quilt. They are the perfect size for leader and enders too. Only problem is I have to cut the individual pieces from my string bucket and it is a mess and although I have made 30+ blocks...I haven't even put a dent in the bushel basket!!
small 51/2" finished log cabins. so cute
Some may wonder why I am not making shoo fly blocks. I just finished a quilt with small churn dash blocks  and the shoo fly is similar so wasn't going there. Besides I am making  wonky star blocks and they are somewhere in this sewing room!! hmmm!!
I will take a peek at Kathy's blog and see what she and the others are up to today. I will be trying to put the log cabin bag together and cut more pieces for the log cabin blocks to sew on my Wednesday sewing day. Who knows, I might even have time to start a new quilt or more likely to work on a UFO!!!

Happy sewing !!

6 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful and really shines against the white snow. We got at least a foot of snow in the last 24 hours as well which made for an interesting attempt to get to church for 8 am today. Didn't happen. We got stuck as soon as we hit the street; 40 minutes later we were back inside taking bets on when the plows would be by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking projects. What's the pattern name of the top that looks like it's circles? I've not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattern is called Fairy Frost from a Fons and Porter magazine scrap quilts Summer 2016. I also did the same quilt in just three colours.

      Delete
  3. All quilts are gorgeous. As for the first beautiful quilt, it doesn't look easy at all. I think it displays amazing piecing by you. It is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your log cabin blocks with the hearts is marvelous! I love the color combinations!! Your finished flimsy does indeed look pretty spectacular on the snow (of which I'm extremely jealous)!! Have a great week!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh your quilt sitting on the snow is an absolute stunner. The colours really pop!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...