Sunday 1 December 2019

All ready....

I have my work done, dog has been walked(and me too) and now I am settling in for a day of sewing. Well just as soon as I get this blog post written and shared!
pebbles
There is apparently a storm brewing in southern Ontario and it is headed our way. So I am prepping by having lots of hand work to do in case we lose power( anything is possible).

layout I didn't like
My time with my friend's Juki machine is coming to an end. It has been a productive couple of weeks. Three quilts of valor, one quilt for youth mental health ward at our local hospital and three quilts for myself. It is amazing what you can get done when the machine is working correctly and can do the job. Also working on a deadline, I do have to return the machine to its rightful owner!! Thanks so much Bernadette for letting me borrow your machine!! :)
shells
new layout
I have been able to finish up a couple UFO in the process that have been sitting for awhile. I am especially proud of the job I did on the shell quilt. It was a mystery from a couple years ago at guild. I  chose one of the layouts(there were several to chose from) I sewed up the quilt top, and still didn't think the layout did  justice to the fabric. I finally and with much reluctance took the quilt top apart...yes the whole top!!! I designed another layout which meant I had to make a few more hst but that was okay and I am much happier with the layout now. I even decided to do some unique machine quilting on it...free motion shells and pebbles along with some walking foot work.

River Rocks
This red quilt is called River Rocks by Carla Alexiuk. She taught this quilt at a workshop at guild two years ago. She is a friend and we were part of the same guild(in the last town I lived in) some 12 years ago....we must have been young young girls when we first met!!! I am going to be binding it today. I have just enough fabric to do a two colour binding...red on the back(to brighten up that swirly black) and black on the front. Love doing the two colour binding...adds many options to completing your quilt.
binding for River Rocks

A girl can't quilt all day...she needs some down time too so that is when I knit. It is relaxing and look at the wonderful gifts it produces. When asked about payment for rental of the sewing machine from my friend Bernadette, she said she would love some home made knitted socks. I have done one pair and the red ones are the second pair. The blue pair in the photo are for me!!






Now if time allows, I will finally get to sewing up the 1st clue in Bonnie Hunter's mystery. I finally decided on fabrics. My plan was to use one fabric for each colour...which was good till I tried to find light teal in my stash...it will have to be several fabrics as will the white background I am using. I also switched out the green for a bright yellow.  I think it fits in well...thinking sunshine on those bluebonnets!!
Slow stitching will be later today with Kathy. I have another quilt(which is a gift so no showing yet) to bind as well as the River Rocks.

Oh well coffee is done and it is time to rock and roll...well maybe it is time for Christmas music instead!!! Have a great day!
Side note...I decided to add the layout of the first shell quilt...which lead to a clean out of my computer...2 hours spent doing computer work and not sewing....arrrgggg!!!!!




3 comments:

  1. Wowweee you have been busy with that machine!
    Maybe Santa needs to bring you one of your own?!?!
    The socks look awesome and that is a great barter idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Does that mean I have to get my sewing room rearranged to bring the beast home and get some of my own quilting done? Right now I'm still doing Christmas cookies. And bags. So glad you are having fun and figuring out the machine for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilting and knitting ... that's a pretty good balance! Hope you settled in and enjoyed a happy day of stitching! :)

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...