Sunday 29 May 2016

Summer planting season


The warm weather has arrived and with it the bugs. Blackflies and mosquitoes have come in hoards and are enough to drive a sane person crazy. Without a bug coat(which are very warm to wear) you wouldn't get anything done outside. Although the warm weather has come during the day, the nights can still be chilly so I have not totally planted my garden. The plants I grew indoors are still waiting to be taken outside and I haven't even bought any flowers as yet.                                                       
Last weekend we had a town wide yard sale. I picked up a few things but this sewing machine and cabinet were by far the best things I brought home. Meet Madelaine! Her owner passed away a few years ago and recently her husband too, so the family was cleaning house. It is not that I needed another machine but I wanted the cabinet for a similar Singer I have. Oh well there is always room for one more in the herd! For now it will hide out I mean become a vanity table for my spare room.I am having a hard time dating her by the serial number...but I think she is 1960-1970 or so.

So in order to not be fighting bugs outside I am inside sewing. I have a quilt to finish...SOON!!! I need to be doing some power piecing today. Just as soon as I get this blog entry finished. I have string blocks, nine patches and I am working on 456 flying geese. Due to a small error in the pattern, I cut twice as many pieces as I need for the flying geese. Oh well more to make for later. If you are tackling Bonnie Hunter's talking turkey....check her errata on Quiltville for corrections of sorts.

I am continuing my hand quilting of this quilt for a friend. Her mom started it years ago and I am finishing it for her in memory of her mom. There definitely are some unusual fabrics in here in the leaves...everything from cotton to knit fabrics and even what I believe to be curtain fabric. Nothing was thrown away. I am sure if the fabrics could talk, they would tell us all what they use to be and how they came to be in this quilt.
This will be my slow stitching with Kathy project for today. I have a deadline so I do a little bit each evening. Although as Kathy said on her blog today, it is getting too warm to have a bundle of quilt on your lap quilting. I may have to bring up my Qsnap frame and use it.


And here's a photo that needs just a wee bit of background. This week we bid a happy and relunctant good bye to one of our friends. She and her hubby are headed to the west coast to live. We wanted her to have a pic of the group of us that was memorable. I think we accomplished that.We have been meeting every Wednesday for knitting although we do lots of other things too!!Happy trails Sandra(2nd from the left-front row) pretty sure you won't find a group quite like this one!!!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun group picture for your friend to remember you all by. That is a lot of geese you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up and picture Deanna (Jeannette)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I cracked right up when I saw THE photo! What a group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG what a great photo! You can't look at that without smiling!
    You have such interesting friends!
    ENjoy your stitching (avoiding the bugs!)

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...