Tuesday 1 October 2019

Quilt Show wind up

Every three years there is a quilt show in North Bay. It is unique as a guild does not sponsor or put it on. It is organized by a group who happen to belong to guilds in the area and many members from the guilds help but it is its own thing!
quilting in progress a year ago
Set up was friday night and it is always amazing how a show goes up in a couple of hours. The judging which started at 5 took the longest to do.There was a judged category and a regular category. The regular category was divided into 6 groups:bed hand quilted, bed machine quilted, wallhanging hand quilted, wallhanging machine quilted,youth category and miscellaneous category. We had over 180 items entered. There was also a silent auction, vendors market and a tea room. Lots to see and do over the weekend.
started the quilting a year ago
I entered two quilts in the judged section and although I love my quilts...the judges did not.
But I do have news to share...the viewers liked one of my other quilts, enough to award it with a second in bed hand quilted. I am pretty proud of this quilt as it took a couple years to finish. The blocks were done 3 or 4 years ago and it took the intervening time to complete the embroidery and hand quilt the top.

2nd place bed quilt-hand quilt 
All profits from the quilt show, silent auction and raffle go to our local hospital for the adolescent mental health ward and to the mammography department for equipment. I will find out in a couple weeks what we gave them. I am sure it was a successful show and our donation will be great.

Now it is time to get the house cleaned up and get into the sewing room and start creating projects for the next show in three years. Seems far away but it will be here before we know it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...