Sunday 7 October 2018

Thanksgiving Weekend

poppies hand quilted
great machine quilting
For me this is the official end of the summer. With everything changing colour to shades of oranges and yellow...you know the snow isn't far off!
more beautiful hand quilting
This also is the time of year that a few quilt shows happen. I recently attended the Guelph guild's quilt show with my friend Louise and her sister Barb(who is a member of the guild) and was amazed. So many beautiful quilts...and lots of them were hand quilted and not just lightly but with dense patterns. Hand quilting is my first love when it comes to quilts. But that technique has been lost over the years with machine quilting and long arm quilting. It was nice to see such a resurgence in this part of quilting.I am hoping more quilters discover its pleasure and relaxing quality.
embroidered twins mini
my fav mini win
Also at the show you could buy tickets on mini quilts that the members had made. I was lucky enough to win several of them. And although they were small, some of them really packed a punch and the workmanship was wonderful. Thank you ladies for all your hard work!!!
happy mini
October is also the time of year I get ready for my annual quilting retreat. We are headed north of me to Temagami. We were there last year . Today I tried to decide what to take but this cold I have just wanted me to nap instead. So tomorrow is the day I have to get my things together and plan what I am going to do. Although I don't leave till Thursday, I have a few other obligations this week so better now!
Do you go on retreat or travel with your quilting? How do you decide what to take or what you want to do? Do you like to only take one thing and work on it till it is finished or do you like variety and the ability to work on many projects so as to not get bored? I think I am the latter. I have many projects on the go right now and could get them all one step further along in the process. But then I think if I took only two or three, maybe I could get them completely finished!!!Oh dear what am I to do! Which mood will I be in and do I take two machines? It is hard being a quilter!!!
Tonight my dear daughter and her boyfriend have headed back home and DH is out playing music so it is just me and the dog and some slow stitching and a movie. I am checking in with my buddy Kathy to see what she is up to. I missed seeing her at the quilt show I attended which was unfortunate maybe we will see each other the next time I am down that way!
So this is going a little long. I haven't been a good blogger but I promise to try to do better. With summer behind me...I will have more time now...who am I kidding!!!




5 comments:

  1. It is always a delightful thing to visit quilt shows and see what pretties others have stitched. Your quilting retreat does sound fun. I hope you decide what stitching you take with you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts. Hand quilting is special but sure requires a lot of time that many don't have. I hand quilt small projects sometimes but even then it takes me forever! I have only ever been on one retreat and focused on one project the whole time, that I designed. This year I'm taking a couple of projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed seeing you at the quilt show :(
    I was also delighted to see many hand quilted items in the show.
    Hope to have some of mine in the next one... I have 3 years to accomplish that (unless I miss the registration deadline again!)
    You were one lucky mini draw winner!
    Enjoy your retreat! I like to take at least one of each type of stitching because you never know what you might feel like working on... at least one piecing project, one paper piecing, one machine quilting, one hand quilting, one binding, one embroidery... to a max of 12 projects. Crazy I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just how many of the 12 do you get accomplished. Hand work will definitely be going. I am also considering taking two machines...one for machine quilting and the other for piecing. Stay tuned for progress reports!

      Delete
  4. Have fun at the retreat. Can’t wait to see what do you.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...