Sunday 18 March 2018

Getting my ducks in a row!

BOM-not putting borders on it
More like stacking my projects up in the order that I would like to get them finished! I have two almost finishes this week. A BOM top is together and doesn't have to be finished completely to be entered in one of our guild challenges!
tumblers- needs quilting
The other finish is my tumbler quilt. I started it in 2015 and now ONE top is made. Why one...well apparently I cut enough tumblers to make at least one more quilt maybe two! But my problem is I am not sure how to quilt it. I don't want to take away from the pattern I created and I don't want to just meander it. I shared it on a couple of quilt sites on facebook but no ideas came back that I liked. I am leaning towards a spiral effect but done as a maze looking squared off spiral. That will be another day!

BEFORE
Friday I set up this quilt frame that I bought at a yard sale a few years ago. It is a homemade frame so it required a bit of tweeking and a couple of added pieces. Now I just have to figure out how to load a quilt on it. It only has two poles. From what I can find on the internet, the three poled frames are better but this is what I have sooo fingers crossed!

This is also how I spent International Quilting Day! I played in my sewing room loading the quilt. I am use to a large old fashion frame where you need a large room to set it up and you know right away that you have enough backing and the top will fit it. Maybe this is baby steps for me graduating to large arm quilting.
With a little playing around and lots of wishful thinking, I got the quilt on and taunt enough to quilt and even got  to put a few stitches in it.This will be part of my daily routine for the next couple of months. And before anyone says anything....I noticed the mistake this morning!Not saying anything except every quilt shouldn't be perfect!!!
starting the quilting process



 My daughter and boyfriend were home for the weekend and we attended a stag and doe last night...so needless to say it is going to be a lazy day today. I will be checking in with Kathy and see what everyone is slow stitching on before I head to the quilt frame!

Bright and sunny here today but cold...enjoy your day wherever you are!!

8 comments:

  1. The finished quilt is going to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the centre embroidered? I do love a blue and white quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hand embroidered by me. The pattern is winter wonderland by Crabapple Hill.

      Delete
  3. This is a very pretty quilt! Your frame looks a lot like mine and I posted about it today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts. For the tumbler, how about stippling in the light tumbler and leave the colored one untouched? Crosshatches in the sashing maybe? Just saying. About the quilt on the frame, you can still fix the "humble piece" without removing the quilting already done. (Ask me how I know.) Enjoy the slow stitching. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas. I decided to leave the humble piece. The quilt is for me so I will love it anyways!!

      Delete
  5. beautiful quilts. You could do a baptist fan on the tumbler quilt. I'm sure once the quilt decides it will let you know!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...