Sunday 28 August 2016

Summer is coming to an end

loaves made and a bit for supper
It is Fall Fair season in my area which signals an end to summer and the start of fall and all that brings. My sewing has taken a backseat lately to the garden which needs tending. Produce is ripening and needing to be pickled or bottled. Today I made zucchini loaves, and pesto( I have a great crop of basil this year). Yesterday I picked all the beans and clean,cut and froze them so we can have fresh or as close to fresh veggies this winter.
pesto and enough for daughter too









It was our little town's 96th annual fall fair this weekend. So Friday I loaded up my entries and took them to the arena and then I was a clerk(recording the winners on paper) for the afternoon. Yesterday I went up in the afternoon as DH and band were playing(always fun to listen to). Then at 4, I was able to retrieve all my entries. I did very well this year except in the pickling department. Well the pickles were probably okay but the lids let me down. I had lots of notes on my entries that said "don't use rusty lids".....who would do that really!!! I have reused lids in the past but not if they were rusty only ones in good condition. I guess like everything else...they aren't being made as well as years ago. So for me from now on...new lids all around. Has anyone else noticed this? Just wondering.


So  now that the kitchen is cleaned up and supper is thawing, I have the afternoon to visit my sewing room. Having just finished a large project, I always find it hard to get started again. Trying to figure out what I want to do next is a challenge...not that there is a lack of projects that need attention. I will be sitting down later today for some slow stitching  with Kathy
I still have binding that needs completing on a gift I am working on. Busy week ahead for me, hope you all enjoy your week too!


8 comments:

  1. I consider my next project as the next challenge. Although lately I am thinking something I have already conquered and simple might just fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that on the lids rusting easier. I figure it was just my move to a humid climate but maybe it is just less quality product. I really need to find some tomato's to can.... I'll be putting in a garden soon so hopefully I'll have beans to process in a few months. Good luck deciding on the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never reuse the lids but do reuse the rings and try to make sure that fair entries have not a speck of rust on them. For regular use it doesn't matter a bit. I'm looking for those new rings that are made from aluminum or plastic and don't rust. I've seen them on some fair entries in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never entered my canning into a fair. My dad and I made mustard pickles in the past...my mom's recipe. I will probably have to make more next year. Hope you were able to get your binding done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our fall fair is coming soon also, but I have yet to decide whether or not to enter anything. My basil is puny this year and I have only ever canned jams. Congratulations on the wins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks yummo. Busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With my frequent trips to the grocery store, attempting a garden is sounding more and more tempting!! The fruits of your labor look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I don't know where you live, but you should NEVER reuse the lids....can give a bad seal. I judge 7 county fairs every summer, and we always look to see if the lids have been reused. They will break the seal every time. Another trick, don't store the jars with rings on, that is what can cause the rust. If you are relying on the rings to hold the lid on, then it's not sealed correctly to begin with. If you have questions, you can contact me.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...