Wednesday 1 May 2013

Good News all Around!

My 2nd place machine quilted quilt
Well it has been a busy April. Our quilt show is over and it was a success. Anytime you can raise money for a good cause, it is always a success. I entered one quilt to be judged and I won a ribbon. I was proud of this one because I free motion quilted it by myself on my machine. Anyone who knows me knows I am a hand quilter at heart but sometimes  I will machine quilt and this one pushed my limits.
Older quilt with embroidery, some stitches are missing
One of the pillowcases, isn't the embroidery pretty
The other weekend I helped to empty my hubby's aunt's house. I brought lots of goodies home with me including a 1918 Singer Sphynx treadle sewing machine(that needs some TLC),household goodies and several  large tubs of yarn. I also saved some older embroider pillowcases.I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but after washing them and finding one pair shredded because of age and idea came to me. I have this older quilt, that I was given by my mother,it was sandwiched between two pieces of more modern fabrics to make it usable. I removed the outer fabrics to find this treasure but the binding was ragged  and I wanted to repair the it and didn't have similar fabric to use.The older pillowcases I got are just about the same fabric so I cut two of the better ones up  to make binding. Don't scream and yell at me, I saved the embroidered part to make a small doily or something. I could have gotten enough out of one pillow case but it was really yellow in spots so it took two cases to do the binding. Very please at  least now I can display the quilt and enjoy looking at it.

Yesterday was cleaning day in my sewing room. I have been just dumping things into it and I was barely able to enter the room. So today I am stepping back into my two mystery quilts that I am teaching at the guilds I belong to.
Well got things to do and the girls are coming over this afternoon to knit so the morning is going to go by fast! Have a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations ... your ribbon was well deserved!

    Great idea and tip for using the pillow case for the binding. What will you be doing with the embroidered section that you saved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe a small doily or maybe add it to a quilt for a label!

      Delete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...