Sunday 16 January 2022

Good sewing day

 Good sewing days happen but great ones where you can do no wrong, don't

come along very often. I had a great one yesterday. I have been using pieces to sew up a charity quilt. I was making pinwheels to extend the length of the quilt then I needed a border to go all around. I was going searching when, before leaving the sewing room, I saw a piece of fabric from a backing I just finished. There were two pieces of fabric and they were directional. BUT there was just enough for the borders and the design on the fabric was even going the right way. Two pieces the perfect length for the sides and a chunk that I could get three pieces out of to complete the top and bottom. And now this kind of freaky monkey clown fabric is used up!!! It has been in my stash for over 14 years and it was time for it to leave! The small piece I have left is going to be cut up and go into my scrap buckets of specific sizes.

all that's left
center pieced
freaky monkeys
That will be the last of the charity quilts I wanted to make this month. I promised to make 4 and give them in other people's name to charity as part of Christmas gifts. It was an easy way to shop and a nice gift to give and receive, I hope! You can see the other two
completed top
here
and one more was finished last Fall.

Today there will be a backing to create from some larger chunks and then I will sandwich one of them to machine quilt. It will be a busy day. It has warmed up from -30 to -14 so I guess me and the dog need to get outside for a much overdue walk. The cold has kept us indoors for a couple of days. Today I will also be checking in with my friend Kathy and her slow stitching group and see what everyone is working on.

Wishing and hoping everyone is having a good or even better a great sewing day!!

6 comments:

  1. I love your design and colors for this quilt. So pretty. And so happy you found a way to finish the size and use up some fabric at the same time. Again, I really really like this quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All were orphan blocks and I designed it on the fly!

      Delete
  2. Aw! Such a beautiful way to give a Christmas gift. That top will certainly cheer up the recipient's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Christmas gift, and what a stroke of luck to find that fabric! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a good sewing day! We are digging out from under the snow today so I have time to visit all the blogs from the link up.

    ReplyDelete

Let me introduce myself....

 It would seem that maybe I should re-introduce myself as I have been away from blogland for way too long. I have heard from some of my read...