Sunday 5 August 2018

Mini Holiday

straight line quilting
DH is off to another music festival and I have chosen to stay at home with the dog and get some much needed sewing/quilting done.I came to the realization that this is the last weekend before our quilt show and I have one more top that needs to become a finished quilt before Wednesday!It isn't a large quilt so it shouldn't be a problem. I pin basted it yesterday and worked on it till it just got to warm to be wearing Machinger gloves and have the bulk of the quilt on my lap. So I switched over to hexies. I am hoping I can finish it today and get the binding on it.

Funny story to this quilt. As I was quilting away on it yesterday, I noticed a box of fabric(ufo) next to me and there at the bottom of the box was some fabric that I bought for the backing of this quilt....oops....oh well guess it will go into the stash for another quilt!! haha

welcome to cottagesfest
I have a great finish that I can now share as it has been gifted. My friend Stephanie came to me with  an idea. She has a friend who organizes a camp fest each year for the neighbouring kids on their lake. She has all sorts of things planned and ready for them when they show up on this one weekend. She also made a large banner and the kids sign it or doodle on it each year. She has not been able to do this for the last few years do to health issues. Stephanie and another friend Karen found the banner and wondered what they could do with it so their friend Tracy would have a keepsake. They checked with me and their idea was given merit. I had a three week deadline and instructions to use blue and think cottage but not country. The banner was 42x120 inches....I trimmed it down a bit, added borders and found a great flannel backing for it. I did simple loop de loops fmq and finished it with matching binding to the outside border. The quilt was delivered to Tracy this week and I am told it was a success. Tracy loved it and even cried.I only have pics of the finished quilt and I will share other pics when I receive them from Stephanie!

my version of Bonnie Hunter's leader and ender
With four full days to myself, I have also been playing at my other sewing machine. I took time out to make curtains for our newly renovated trailer and I sewed up one block for the leader and ender challenge for this year. I am working in green! This photo doesn't do it justice though it is much brighter, it looks very washed out here. I have enough hst given to me from a friend's leftovers so it won't be a big quilt but might be perfect for a baby quilt for one of the many little ones that are coming along in the next year or so!!!

Although I am not slow stitching most of the day, I will still join Kathy and see what everyone is up to today in the land of needle and thread. Hopefully I will be stitching binding by the evening!!!


3 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the cottage banner... way to go!
    Hope to get to relax with some binding tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your banner turned out great and what a great idea! Don't you hate when you can't capture the colors correctly. I have that problem a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have some free days to stitch away. I'll have mine later this month when DH meets his buddies for their annual weekend. Love your projects, especially the green block.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...