Friday 6 July 2018

The Story of a Quilt

the individual block unit
It's a mystery they said, it will be fun they said, do it with us they said. Who is they you ask? And why oh why did I listen?!!?!
Don't get me wrong, I love mystery quilts. This one however was a bit simple in structure but had lots of options for layouts. But as luck would have it with the fabric I chose and how I used it in the quilt, there was only one option for me. So I sewed and completed the top and that is where it sat till this week.

the finished quilt top
I didn't like the finished top ! The fabrics I chose were lovely and a favourite of mine(the seashells). I have taken it out of its box a couple times, looked it over and put it away. This week I took it out once again and decided NO...I just don't like it and I can do something about that. SOOOO!!! I reversed sewed the blocks out of the quilt top. I thought maybe there was another way to rearrange the blocks. After more wasted time, I decided there was no other way to go so there they lay on my cutting table. I am going to reverse sew the blocks too. I will be left with hst of various colours combos and plain and coloured squares. I will make another quilt just not sure what it will be using all the pieces from this quilt.
my 2nd try at a layout

The colours show more vibrant in these pics but in real life the light teal and the off white are just too light I feel.I will post when I have decided what will become of them or what great creation I have come up with!!!I like all the fabrics and thought they would play nice together but they don't in this top. Maybe they are just asking to be put into another quilt top design!!!



pile of blocks that need further un-sewing

2 comments:

  1. Maybe add some of that rusty red that's in the starfish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great either way!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...