Thursday 5 July 2018

Summertime has arrived!

back of quilt, bulky seams create birdnests
With the cooler weather we had the other weekend, it is hard to remember what with the heatwave we are having!! High temperatures and humidex values have made it a stay indoors time for me. That is good as I can hide in the cooler basement and pin baste quilts. I did this one the other day and have started machine quilting it.
older machine sewing like a dream
Now anyone who has read my blog will know...me and machine quilting...NOT a good combination. Now add to that a big fancy electronic machine with extra throat space that will not co-operate and quilt properly. So what is a girl to do....I tried something new! I moved to my 301A Singer sewing machine. I lessened the pressure on the sewing foot and I have been machine quilting all day!! There is the odd spot where I have to smooth out a small bubble but so far(knock on wood) it has been going great. I wonder if it would be any better with a proper walking foot. Maybe one day I will get one!!!

if I had started with this machine, I would be done now!
My thought process was to machine quilt the arcs of this wedding ring type quilt and they would act as my basting for the other quilting that I want to do my hand. I have done this before and really like the end result. Also it gets done a bit quicker than hand quilting the whole thing. This quilt is from a class I taught this year called Metro Rings. You can see the original post here.


mesmerized by the  night sky  




I couldn't resist taking these pictures of the sky this evening. A storm was passing by north of us and this is what I got to see!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...