Sunday 8 July 2018

ME Weekend!

no walking foot...quilting not bad
Yes it has been a quiet, no work only sewing weekend! DH has been gone since Thursday to a music festival and I am home with the dog. It has been three days of sewing. I have been  machine quilting this quilt and now I can finally get to the hand quilting. I thought it would be quicker to do the machine quilting...but THREE days. That was after I spent an afternoon quilting on my big machine only to have an issue and have to rip all the stitching out again. I don't have a lot of faith in my big machine at the moment. It will be going to the doctors shortly to see if we can find an answer to my problem.It is a tension issue that leaves little bird nests on the back of my quilt when I sew over a bulky area. SO I machine quilted this quilt on my 301A with no walking foot.It worked out very well except on the full straight lines...there is a bit fullness and some rippling but not too bad.

ready set .....get quilting
The weather has cooled a bit to 23-25 degrees Celcius during the day. Much better weather for hand quilting since I am using a hoop. I like my squarish wooden hoop for most of the work but this plastic one is great for doing borders(which will be necessary for this quilt). So today slow stitching Sunday with my buddy Kathy will be all about hand quilting. I am most excited to start on that.

Also today a friend is dropping by with a quilting job for me. She has a large banner made from cloth 4'x9' and she wants a border put on it and it made into a quilt. And I have 3 weeks to accomplish it. Stay tuned there will be more on this in a future post.

during the chase
after the chase
A little funny for today. This is Belle and she has a love/hate relationship with squirrels and chipmunks. She loves to chase them and hates when they are faster than she is(which is most of the time). She managed to chase one under the van and she is not so patiently waiting for it to come out again. In the process is getting cover with undercoating from the van! Oh Belle, it is a good thing that you are cute!!


8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your big machine is giving you fits. I just spent 2 days getting an old Singer 66 treadle working. Getting the tension right almost did me in, but I was determined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES, ripping things out is never fun. Hope the machine doctor can fix the situation for you. LOVE the look of your quilt, very pretty soothing colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness crazy Belle! Never a dull moment!
    Hope the machine gets fixed soon. But you can enjoy wonderful hand quilting time until then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that they are able to fix your tension issues. It is no fun to think you have made such great progress only to discover that the back is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt you are working on. Enjoy handquilting! Hope the doctor can fix your sewingmashine soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belle is adorable. I like your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frustrating about the sewing machine! Your dawg is so cute. I have a bird chaser spaniel!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...