Sunday 25 August 2013

Tis the Season for Pickling and Fairs

Only the bottom two shelves had any pickles
So not much is happening on the quilting front. The cause is one trip to an open veggie market and now I am pickling. Three  batches of salsa, pickled dills, pickled dill green beans,beets, mustard cucumbers and ground up tomatoes for spaghetti sauce this winter. The pickle cupboard it looking fuller now but I am slowly running out of large bottles.  I opened my mouth and said yes of course I will take those extra beets that you don't want....what was I thinking!?!?! I enlisted the help of DH and my daughter who is home working every second week. Why shouldn't they help...they eat the pickles.My daughter thinks we are crazy to make salsa..you can buy it in the store she says!!!There just isn't anything like homemade! Even if the fair judges don't agree! What you don't see in the picture is the two boxes of Salsa tucked under that pingpong table. I think we will make it through the winter with these bottles!!!

Some of my fair entries
Yes it is fair weekend here this weekend. My pickles,relishes, jams didn't do so great but I did do well at the sewing,quilting end of the fair. Only a couple of things didn't get any ribbons. A lot of red 1st place and one of my entries, a collection of sewn things(with the orange card) will be going to Toronto in February to be displayed! Never been asked to do that before.
So after the busy week I have had, I am settling in to do some sewing and hand stitching today. Isn't this fabric fun. It is going to be the backing for my Easy Street. I used wine themed fabrics on the front and found this and thought it would be perfect. Also had enough to do the borders!!! Check out Kathy's Quilts and see what others are doing today!

2 comments:

  1. Love that wine fabric....it's perfect!
    Oooohhhh that photo of all your canning is making my mouth water! You have been working hard.
    Congrats on all the fair ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wine bottle fabric! The jars of all your produce look great. Lots of work you have put into them. Congrats on the ribbons.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...