Sunday 28 February 2016

Winter Wonderland

this past Thursday
How appropriate that I am working on a quilt called winter wonderland when we seem to be living in one. Last week we received 8-10 inches of snow and the weatherman is calling for more this week. If you needed a good reason to stay in and sew that would be it...but who needs a reason!
I am checking my "to do list" and stroking things off it. I worked on this flimsy for a friend. She will be quilting and finishing it. She had the panel and gave me fabric to increase the size. She had some black but I didn't use it....WHY you ask? Well it ripped like paper...tissue paper. I have had this happen before and the fabric was rotten. I learned that black is especially bad for that because it is so over-dyed. Good to know and takes only  a second to check.
I have spent the last couple of days working on a baby quilt. Don't want the recipient seeing it so no pics or discussion about it but there is applique happening. It was a bit of a challenge for me, I only had a photo to make the patterns from and I am not a drawer/sketcher. I can take shapes and makes beautiful quilts but don't ask me to draw anything! I have a month to get it done so I should be okay.

In other happenings in the sewing room, I have a couple classes coming up. One is a curved pieced class next weekend(must pick out what fabric I am going to use) and the other is a One Block Wonder class(that fabric is chosen already). Like I need to start a new quilt!!!Oh well it keeps things interesting and I can't say I am bored.

Today is Sunday so that means joining Kathy with some slow stitching. I will be appliqueing the afternoon away watching Bonnie Hunter's quilt cam from the other night. Check in and see what she is up to and who is joining in on the fun.  First I have to do some snow removal!

7 comments:

  1. I don't know where you are, but here where I live in Southern Ontario we've only had to clear snow once this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thirty minutes south of North Bay Ontario. Seems we are in a snow belt this year!

      Delete
  2. I am hoping we are past the snow now. Have fun appliquéing today. I hope we get to see the quilt eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say about the snow is: better you than me--lol! I had a black fabric like that--so weird. I'm thinking it may have been all the dye or something. Hopefully I'll be able to use my stash before anymore rotting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flimsy is very pretty. Sorry about the snow. It does look pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my you have a lot of snow! We've had such a lovely winter down south here :)
    Enjoy your applique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you still have some of that black fabric, can you bring it to guild Monday night and do a tell. I have never heard of this before and found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...