Friday 22 April 2016

What was I thinking?

As I write this today, I am the day after having my 4 wisdom teeth removed. I was lucky(if you call it that) to be able to have it done at my dentist office ...no surgery! That however doesn't make it any less uncomfortable. My hygienist better appreciate not having to clean them anymore. BUT with every bad thing something good should happen. I am getting a lot of couch time and hand quilting.

one block wonder with fighter jets
This past week I have also finished machine quilting two smaller quilts. My one block wonder is complete and that is one pattern I won't be repeating...been there done that!!! I also completed this colourful quilt from a curved piecing workshop. After finishing these it was apparent that something was not working correctly on my husquvarna sewing machine.It hasn't been working quite right for awhile but I thought it was just me not holding my mouth right or just the fact that I am not a fan of machine quilting. It just came back from a tune up and cleaning and now the feed dogs seemed to not be working correctly. Back to the sewing doctor to find out I need a "step motor" for my machine that sends messages to the feed dogs. Well I nailed that one...but that doesn't make the part any cheaper! Luckily I am not in need of that machine for a bit as it is going to be at the doctors for awhile.
great backing choice
free hand curves

hand quilting on a frame
On Tuesday I was giving a demo on hand quilting.Something I like to think I could do in my sleep. It was a 20 minute, all I know  about hand quilting. I talked tools of the trade and had this frame and quilt set up, then a fellow guild member finished the talk with showing how the stitching is actually done and some of her methods and techniques. So now I have this little quilt to finish for next month. I was quite surprised how many of the ladies were interested in hand quilting. Of course that didn't mean they were going home to put one on a frame or in a hoop....I don't know why not!!!
I started a list of 12 UFO that I wanted to get completed or at least work on. This week, I was able to take two of the off the list and a third is not far behind. So I am hoping with the return of my newly repaired sewing machine in a couple of weeks that I will be able to eliminate a few more off the list.
I am road tripping this weekend and hoping to hit at least one quilt store. I am with DH so one store would be a good thing!! If not I will at least get to see my baby girl who returned last week from an Australian holiday. Can't wait to see her pics and see all the things she brought home with her.

Also adding to check in with Kathy and see what everyone is slow stitching today. I will be hexie sewing in the car.

8 comments:

  1. Showed hubby your one block wonder and he loved it! Guess that means I better get working on my own. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I see someone's nose in the OBW photo? :) I really like how the Curves turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear wisdom teeth removal is nasty... poor you.
    Love that border cable on the hand quilting project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I am a longarm quilter, my passion is handquilting and I also think I could do it in my sleep! So nice to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "One Block Wonder" is beautiful. Hope you have recovered from losing those wisdom teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hand sewing while resting on the couch is just what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your quilts and quilting. I hand quilt as I can't drop my feed dogs to machine quilt (old machine). I have had one quilt professionally quilted. I hope you are feeling better by now. My daughter had all four wisdom teeth out recently and was at least glad that she didn't have to go back. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! Hope you are taking it easy. Great job finishing off some UFO's.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...