Sunday 5 October 2014

Quilting Season

I have heard the Fall referred to as quilting season more than once this year. Well I guess it is the time of year once all gardening and flowerbeds are put to sleep for the winter. We find ourselves with time to do more. For me here in Northern Ontario...the winters can be long and playing with fabric and quilting keeps me hoping for Spring. I do love the winter and snow but sometimes it is nice to watch the snow falling from inside sitting at a quilting frame or sewing machine!! This is also the time of year I go on my annual quilting retreat. Seventh year for it and I was there for the first one and haven't missed one! But I get an extra holiday this year cause a friend and I are going shopping for a couple of days before the retreat. We are planning on hitting a few quilt stores and some other shopping. A couple of days away from home to shop, relax and road trip from store to store!!! I call this my hunting season! For the week after DH will be gone hunting.
all cut and ready to sew, will also work on embroidery
So in the quilting room I have been putting projects together, doing the cutting here so at the retreat I just have to sew. I find figuring out the cutting at home alone in quiet much easier. Let's face it at retreat there is a "wee" bit of chatting going on!!!
my layout...have to sew it together yet



I have also been working on my Marcus sew along. Although I have figured out I don't have enough fabric to complete the alternate blocks. So yesterday I had to go into design mode! And voila!! A creative opportunity presented itself and I was able to come up with a plan. It worked out well. I wanted to use the bright plaid but didn't have enough but I didn't have enough of the fabric I was suppose to use according to the pattern. So a compromise was born....use both of them. Also that way I have enough fabric. Now I am left wondering if I have enough background for the set in triangles. No miscalculations...I used only scraps from my stash so I am being forced to make due!!!

A local church is having a Harvest supper tonight and DH is taking me out.That's big in our house. So I have to put sewing away for now and will do some slow stitching tonight. Check out Kathy's blog and see what others are doing today on slow stitching Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. Your "make due" project is beautiful! Wonderful creating. Enjoy your quilt retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you take making do to a new level ...this is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea you came up with for your Marcus layout! So creative! And love those little packages all ready for retreat. I want to be more organized at retreat this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with you about cutting at home. I have often done all my cutting and my mother's at home prior to going to our church quilting circle. Otherwise, one of us usually has to go buy more fabric because we are too busy chatting or being otherwise interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your plaid block and that setting is so much better looking then what was asked. You understand I have to copy this setting for a quilt on my to-do list right? LOL Hope you have enough fabric to finish this one soon, cause I can't wait to see the final product.Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect problem solving - I love your design! For the last guild sit and sew I took hand work instead of my sewing machine. I don't get a lot of sewing done and it just isn't worth the effort of dragging everything there.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...