Monday 14 July 2014

Well.....hello!!

It has been way too long I realize! With summer well underway my time is split up in many directions. Hubby has been out of town with work so I get lots of sewing time during the week, which means yard work on the weekends. Two days versus five days!!! hmmm
sampler quilt
I have been getting things done in the sewing room though.Sandwiched this quilt and am in the midst of machine quilting it. I will do some hand quilting in the large open spaces...just can't bring myself to do it on the machine!





large quilts to big for me to quilt
I also prepped the backings for two very large quilts(one is 101" square and the other is 96x102) that I am sending off to my friend to machine quilt. On the left is Easy Street Mystery from Bonnie Hunter and on the right is a class I took in Fall 2012.Yes I will be quilting them by cheque!!! Also I made the bindings and I am keeping them where I can find them once the quilts come back. I have done this before and lost the bindings. arrgggg!!
bindings marked and ready for finished products
Add caption


This past week I had some time to sit and do lots of hexies. To the point where I have to soon decide what I am going to do with them. I have made one decision and that is to turn them into diamonds. So all the flowers that I have need two more hexies. Then I have to decide about the pathway. White/green/white or green/white/green or just green or just white. There are so many colours in the flowers that I think that I can start joining them with the pathway. I am hoping that way to free up some of my cardboards from in behind my work so I don't have to make many more. I don't think I plan on ever making another hexie quilt after this one, so I want to do something special! When the purple fabric for the center runs out I will be done because that is all the fabric I have and can't find more!I thought I had a lot more flowers completed already. I fear there is a box of them somewhere!?!?

I am planning and preparing for company this weekend. Three of my friends/fellow quilters are coming to stay at my house for a quilty weekend! PIRANHA EXTRAVAGANZA that is what we are calling our retreat. You will have to come back to see why!!!
It is all part of my 50th birthday present from my hubby. Food and treats and maybe a bottle of wine or two is all on him!!! I am really looking forward to this. We all got together a couple of years ago for a day so having a whole weekend is going to be nice. You can bet there will be pictures to follow. One of the girls is Kathy from Slow Stitching Sunday, so I am sure some pics may find their way onto her blog as well.
Although I am posting this on Monday, I did get some more hexies made last night.

4 comments:

  1. Good job on getting so much sewing done! Happy 50th birthday and enjoy your quilting retreat, it sounds like the perfect way to celebrate such a milestone birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for the weekend! I hope we will be doing some slow stitching :) And I am a little nervous about the piranha part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are getting a lot done. Have a great fun weekend with your friends. Happy Sewing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very lovely sampler quilt. Love the colour. Happy birthday and enjoy your weekend. I will be back to see those piranha pictures :D

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...