Sunday 19 February 2017

Once upon a time....

not a great pic but trust me there will be more
.....there was a quilt that had been stored away for many years. The lady who owns it decided it needed to be finished and looked into getting it quilted. She contacted a friend of mine who has a long arm machine. My friend, after seeing the quilt commented that she thought it should be hand quilted, but the owner didn't know anyone who did that...but my friend did!!! So one day the lady took the quilt to my friend's house, They took photos and emailed them to me. While I was looking at them, we were talking over the phone too. I asked questions, they asked questions and answers were discussed. After a few days, the lady said "yes", she would like me to do the quilting.

After much pondering, delaying, procrastinating and some special order of a batting, I have begun!!!
close up of the side.edge 
This past week the silk batting that I am going to use came in at my little quilt store and yesterday I started marking up the quilt top. It is an embroidered top so I will be doing some outlining but mostly it will be cross hatching on the whole top. There is also a large pillow sham type piece that is to be quilted at the same time. I am using plain white cotton on the back.

This will be my project for the next few months, so this is just the start of many blog posts about it.

In the sewing room things are piling up too. I have been trying to get projects finished and out the door. I have a pile of charity quilts that need to go to guild to be distributed, a couple of quilts that are in various stages of completion  and then there is all the work I have been doing for my class on Saturday.
OMG...could this girl have any more on her plate....I think I need a platter or a large tray!!!!
Popping in to see what everyone is up to over at Kathy's blog and her slow stitching day. I have been up since 6am cooking breakfast at our carnival, so this evening will be a lazy one.

1 comment:

  1. The quilt top was completed on the last day of WWII by the lady's mother and Aunt. She wants it quilted to commemorate Canad's 150 Anniversary. And I know that you will do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...