Sunday 19 November 2023

Another week of progress

little boy quilt top
 Two weeks in a row and I have made it here again. Yea me!! I have gotten a couple tops done and one of them is basted and hopefully will get quilted today. I was working on the pieces last week, you can read about it here. The second one I had fun designing for a little boy and it will be quilted later this week. I would get more done if I stayed at home more!

The weather is changing and there is a skiff of snow on the ground. Makes one start thinking of Christmas shopping. I am trying to figure how I can only shop in my sewing room, that isn't going too well!

scraps from last weeks post






Yesterday I was going to use one of my old machines to sew some batting together but it was almost seized. So I spent the afternoon working on it, a little oil and she was purring again. Which got me to thinking maybe I should give my machines a spa day. I have an older Singer knock off and it should be in a cabinet so I don't sew with it but I did play with it as well. She has such pretty scroll work on the end.  I oiled my 301A and as I oiled it you could literally hear the difference as the oil got into the right spots. The machine ran smoother and more quiet.

knock off Singer machine
seized machine that sews nicely now
Do you care for your machines or always send them out to be serviced? Someone asked this on facebook the other day and it got me to wondering too. The older machines are so easy to clean add a bit of oil and they are good to go. The newer electronic ones are a different thing. Although you can do regular cleaning of lint on them and then maybe once every other year take it to a technician. Whatever you chose to do at least change your needle and clear out the dust bunnies. Just my personal thoughts on the matter.


Slow stitching will come later after I quilt a quilt and add the binding. But I will take a few moments and a coffee and check in with my buddy Kathy and see what her crew is working on this week.

Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

4 comments:

  1. I clean out the bobbin case of my machine constantly but I still take it every year for a yearly service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do try to remember to oil my older machines when I use them, my workhorse is the modern pfaff which is overdue for spa day, thanks for the reminder! Perhaps in January. Unfortunately my previous shop retired so there is that hesitation of going to a different one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi love all the blues you've been showing lately, Deanna. I abuse my one machine sadly. It is long overdue for maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dog quilt is really cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

You just never know!

 The other day a friend texted me and asked if I recognized the photo she sent me. It was a photo of a quilt, one that I had made last year ...